You probably mean FP4+; HP4 is an older film and any stock will be decades out of date. If you want a film to match the speed of Tri-X, HP5+ is a good choice.
Hi guys,
Sorry for my typo. I did mean Ilford Fp4+ (not HP4+):
thumb.asp?a=fit&w=150&h=180&d=webimages&f=2006125221434233.jpg
I got the name mixed up wit HP5+. Sorry. It seems I cant edit the original post and title (??).
I don't have a need to match up the ISO 400 of Tri-X. Fp4+ can be easily pushed to ISO 400 if needed. And it was my (uneducated) conclusion - based on many discussions and shown images - that I like the tonal range and contrast of FP4+ better than of HP5+. (Now, don't start a war here, mind you!!).
I had to start somewhere, so I decided to try FP4+ first. So my original question should have been how do you use your Ilford FP4+ and how do you develop?

There are two suggestions for Ilford ID-11 so far. I never used this developer. I started with Kodak D-76, but didn't like to work with powder. I switched to liquid Amaloco chemicals and had good results. Later I also tried Kodak T-MAX developer and Rodinal developer but haven't used it enough to have an opinion yet.
Amaloco AM 74 is a local product (Holland, Europe) as a replacement for Agfa Rodinal.
The paper developers from Amaloco are:
- Agfa Neutol NE = Amaloco AM 2002 Extra Bromax
- Agfa Neutol WA = Amaloco AM 1001
- Agfa Multicontrast = Amaloco AM 2002 Extra Bromax
- Agfa Neutol Plus = Amaloco AM 8008 Ecomax.