Silly me, got off on a tangent without addressing the question...

The point I was getting at was, even if the staff at the theater took your request seriously, they wouldn't have been able to do anything until the movie was over since they were probably using xenons. If there was a competent tech on staff, they could have done the maintenance in between shows. A good tech can change a lamp in 30 minutes or less. If there was not a competent person on staff, it should have been done by the next day.

When I was a field tech, I would occasionally be called to a theater to handle the problem but, as I said, it wasn't strictly my job. There should be somebody there who is able to do it. If I had to go to a theater to do it, I might need a day or more to get there, depending on what else was happening. Unless that theater was down or unless there were major complaints, it would not have been a priority. Driving 8 to 12 hours and staying overnight in a Motel 6 just to change a stupid light bulb is not something I would relish doing, neither would the company want to pay my mileage, room and food bills. If I had other theaters with more pressing problems, I would have to handle them first. Changing lamps would normally be a low priority call. I would probably end up doing a drive-by as I was going between theaters.

The real problem is what we were talking about to start with. Most people have a lower expectation of quality, these days, and I really do believe that many people no longer have the capacity to tell the difference.

Your average, apathetic, teenaged theater employee who watches movies on his iPhone just doesn't understand what a good movie presentation looks like and, when he is called away from the important business of chatting up the girls at the popcorn stand, he finds the request to be more of an annoyance.