Quote Originally Posted by TimF View Post
Second lesson: It is hard getting the paper to line up perfectly square under my easel. Sorry if anyone gets a print that is a little off, I'll try to pick the ones with nicest margins. Is there a trick to this or do I need a better easel?
Assuming it's the usual 2-blade cheap easel with fingers at top and left to push the paper against, you push the paper up into the easel and then slide it right/left. You should be able to feel it sliding along without ANY rotation. If there's rotation, it's not in correctly. Then you slide it left until it comes up against the other stops.

Quote Originally Posted by TimF View Post
Third lesson: Ilfosol S exhausts more quickly than I thought(?). When I turned on the lights I found the later prints have some yellow staining apparent in the white borders. I made up a fresh batch of fix and gave those prints another fix with no change so I'm assuming it is the developer - any advice? I used 500ml of made up 1:9 for 20 8x10s.
Isn't that a film developer? You probably want to use paper developer (Multigrade is Ilford's main offering; Dektol is Kodak's and there is of course an infinity of other options) for developing paper...