Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
Well, resolution is only one component of sharpness, and plays a relatively small role in overall subjective print quality. This is not to say resolution isn't important. But it's not as though general purpose medium speed films have poor resolution. On the contrary. So when comparing something like TMX to CMS20, what we're really talking about is high resolution versus ultra-high resolution. Further, can we actually take advantage of the very high resolution of a film like CMS20 beyond shooting a 2 dimensional target on an optical bench? Consider all the variables involved in making an actual photograph. Subject depth, tiny focusing errors, flatness variations at the film plane, vibration, enlarger alignment etc all conspire to obliterate lines per mm.

I have not used the specific Rollei film you mentioned so I can't comment on it.
TMAX/XTOL so far seems to offer the best combination of overall tonality and fine grain. I tried some Rollei Pan 25 and my results are mixed. I don't find the grain any finer and the quality control of the emulsion is pretty poor and the film is terribly curly, though the comparison may not entirely be fair since the Pan 25 was developed in Rodinal. The TMAX was definitely finer grained than Delta 100/D76... As fine grained as the TMAX is my lenses are still out-resolving the film and looking back at my old APX 25 and Techpan negative they have 'significantly' more detail.

I shot a few rolls of Retro 80S over the weekend - when my RLS developer arrives I'll post some results...

Paul