Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
Personal preferences play a great part in answering your question, obviously.
What's good for others may not necessary be good for you, in terms of your skill level, fluency of mastering controls and future directions.

The EOS 5, EOS 3, 1N (and 1N variants) are all very worthy contenders. You do NOT need myriad metering and high speed electronics; chances are you will never ever use them other than to start a long conversation at the Sunday roast.

Leave the EOS 1V to the gear freaks and film burners e.g. wildlife and sports. It is a beautiful camera, absolutely, but it has a mission to be worked very hard and fast every single day, thumped, banged, drenched, frozen, roasted..., ; taking it out for a toddle and poking it at a pretty sunset is not what that camera is about; it is a poor choice for landscapes and light daily use, even for travel where it is taken on the premise of being "ultra-reliable": so too, are all other EOS bodies when they have been looked after.

I am not going to recommend just one or any; it's up to what YOU feel comfortable with and what you can coherently use without getting sick of it after a month of use. A heavy camera can be a pain to cart around (the 1N is heavy, but not as much as the 1V). Also, match an EOS body to your hand size; again, the EOS 1V was a pain for my small hands. The 1N perfect, the 5, also perfect, the 3, "so-so". EOS bodies are cheap and fairly reliable but should be thoroughly bench tested by a techie to give you piece of mind against any untoward events in history that you are not aware of (or have not been told about): drives, motors, mirrors, battery chambers, electronic lens coupling contacts, LCD displays, shutter buttons, back cover hinges...all have been known and observed to have terrible faults that could cost the next owner more than what they paid for the camera. Shop wisely.
Yeah, the 1V is heavy. Perhaps the grip size will not fit you correctly. It certainly was built to be "thumped, banged, drenched, frozen, roasted..., ;" as well as other type of abuse, not just a camera to be taken out for the occasional "toddle". You are absolutely right. It was built to be used hard by professional photographers. But I am uncertain what is "bad" about that. Face it, I don't own many cameras that can survive being tossed in a backpack for a hike through the mountains, bounced along dusty desert trails on the back of a dirt bike, and still capture amazing shots from the sidelines during my grandson's football game. Far from being reserved for "gear freaks and film burners", this is a film camera that is built to take it, and can still be bought brand new. You won't have to worry about those unknown faults in "drives, motors, mirrors, battery chambers, electronic lens coupling contacts, LCD displays, shutter buttons, back cover hinges..." Instead you can have all those things covered by a manufacturer's warranty. All of this for about the same money you would pay on a well built digital camera.

So, I agree. Shop wisely. You can either buy new from BHPhoto or play the E-Bay Lottery.