Take some time and do a bit of research on different "field cameras." Pauls point is valid and important.

Maybe it would help to think in "families" of folding cameras.

First, there are the metal-bodied technical/press cameras. The true press cameras, like the Speed Graphic and similar were originally designed for hand-held use and have limited movements.

Technical cameras (among them the Technika and the two you mention in your post) have more capability in the movement department. Due to the fact that they are metal, they are rather heavy in comparison to a wooden field camera (6-8 pounds). Many use these cameras in the field however. They are rugged and precise. It is a personal decision based on weight vs portability whether the extra weight is worth it or not.

Wooden field cameras come in basically two sub-groups as well. There are the full-featured, long-bellows cameras that can do everything and accept long lenses and the more "bare-bones" wooden cameras. (I'm oversimplifying a bit here, but you get the idea.)

In the first group are the Ebony cameras, the newer Zone VI cameras, the Wisner Technical Field camera, etc. You recognize these cameras because they have long bellows (20 inches or more often), a full range of movements and, often, interchangeable bellows, etc. My Zone VI camera can take lenses from 65mm to 450mm, is rather large (the camera body is significantly larger than many lightweight wooden cameras) and weighs just a bit more than 6 pound.

A "lightweight" folding field camera is smaller, weighs in the 3-4 pound range, has shorter bellows (12 inches or so) and usually fewer or more limited movements (not as much shift, etc.). However, the lighter weight makes these ideal for packing around and the limitations don't bother many photographers much, especially if they are not doing specialized work like close-up or architectural work where you really need lots of movements (and lenses with lots of coverage as well). In this category are the Tachihara, Shen-Hao, Wista, Woodman, and Chamonix (more full-featured) cameras.

I carry Wista DX and Woodman cameras in the field for the most part. These about 3-pound cameras and compact lenses let me do a lot of hiking without tiring. I don't carry the larger Zone VI on extended hikes and use it mostly when I anticipate needing longer lenses.

I use monorail cameras for studio work and tabletop work. For architectural work, I'll take the lightest camera I can get away with.

I think you need to assess your needs, do a bit of searching around on the Internet and reading specifications before you decide.

FWIW, if I were shopping for another field camera, I would look closely at the Chamonix 45n-2. It is lightweight, but has more bellows draw and movement capability than most cameras in its weight class.

Hope this helps,

Doremus

www.DoremusScudder.com