Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
Well I'm sure I have a test image that I can start with that isn't important and so I can test this old stuff on it. So... my question is... being really dumb... or rather, ignorant of photography ... when someone says a negative is thin vs dense... is it opposite speak? as in, like because it's a negative and not a positive, when someone says dense, do they mean the negative looks very dark (which would make it over exposed in a positive) or does dense actually mean that when printed as a positive the image would be dark?

So is intensifier for making thin negatives thicker making a lighter image, and reducer for making dark negatives that look black to be thinned out so the image is darker? Hope i'm making sense.
Yep - you use intensifier to make an underdeveloped negative "thicker", so it will print with brighter highlights, while still giving dark and detailed shadows in the print.

And you use reducer to thin out a negative, so it will print with darker shadows when the highlights look good in the print.

No opposites involved though - intensifier makes the negative itself look thicker (less transparent), while reducer makes the negative itself look thinner (more transparent).