Quote Originally Posted by davidkachel View Post
1. Da Vinci did not know his materials were impermanent. This knowledge was unavailable during that time. Even if he did know, so what? That doesn't make it OK to knowingly use garbage materials today.
I find this to be a weirdly prescriptive statement. I'm aware of at least one serious photographer in this thread who intentionally makes one-shot prints with a lifetime measured in hours; I wouldn't want to speak for them as to their motivations, but what I get from that work as a viewer is a combination of "the transitory is interesting" and "it's kinda cool that this technique works", with a side of "don't take art too seriously". You seem to be saying, not just that you don't like such a way of working, but that it's somehow *wrong* to do it that way...?

My comment earlier about "fine art" as a marketing category was only a little cynical; I think it's basically a circular category, in that "fine art" is whatever the "fine art" people say it is, and who those people are is defined by who those people accept as one of them. To my mind that's a sort of incestuous, sclerotic artistic hothouse (mix those metaphors!), and it's just the sort of thing that people build artistic movements *against*. So I tend to find my sympathies lying with the brash, self-important kid who doesn't care to learn about a canon of past masters but would rather be building their own aesthetic---and, yes, making a lot of the same old mistakes again. Some of those "mistakes" may turn out to have more promise in them than the canon would like to admit.

By the way, I hope we're not arguing at knifepoint here or anything. I think this is actually an interesting discussion, and I'm really disappointed to see branches of it devolving into the same old film-vs-digital crap (which you were at pains to avoid invoking, I realize, but it seems to show up habitually on APUG anyway).

-NT