I think hand made can be a little misleading here. By the definition of hand made, I believe a digital picture and with inkjet print is every bit as hand made as a silver gelatin print. Doing digital work and prints yourself is every bit as "hard" as darkroom work. I might argue that the darkroom may even be EASIER. Yes I said it! In order to get good consistent inkjet prints, you have to calibrate your monitor, and calibrate the printer (and keep it in calibration). None of which are very easy tasks. Trust me, I run a prepress department and do monitor, printer, proofer and press calibrations for a living. A good RIP to handle color calibrations for multiple substrates and conditions can cost as much as $10,000.

We had a digital photographer shoot our wedding. Yes, we got a ton of pictures, as you would expect with any digital based photographer. They spent about 80 hours editing the images, and the work really shows.

NOW, I think the proper term should be HAND CRAFTED. Thats the difference for me between digital and analog. When I'm contemplating an image or shoot, I choose the camera, and lens I want to shoot with. I also choose a film that suits my vision of the shoot. I then have variables to consider like developer, development style. Then I have even more to think about when making enlargements. With the term "craft" you don't have to get into whether a peson is using a more automated darkroom, or is using open trays. Its not about time spent, or how much work goes into an enlargement. I've had (very few) negatives in which I had to do no dodging/burning and only had to settle on the right contrast and exposure time. That print is no less hand crafted than one where I cut 5 masks, burn here, dodge there. I just means I did my job right when making the initial exposure!