A nice write-up, pbromaghin. I admit I often 'chimp' when shooting the other stuff, what the heck, it's available. But I still don't generally experience great anxiety when shooting film (which I've done for approaching sixty years!) I also think there is an important difference in the characteristic curves that helps reduce my anxiety. If you exceed the upper range of a digital sensor, you pretty much wipe out all detail, whereas a typical film will compress the range a bit and you still get something. Yes, the final result may be less than optimum, but at least there is something there. And drawing from experience, in dim lighting I may take a second shot at a stop or so more exposure if I'm really worried. I'm sure most of my thought process goes into finding the right perspective and composition. I mean, yes, I've blown a few pretty badly over the years, but very seldom have I been left with nothing.

I currently have a couple of pieces in a local art show (one of which even got an award!) and at the opening another artist was asking me about one scene. It's an historic farm in the area -- and I used IR, although it's not over the top with IR effects. She wanted to know what time of year it was taken and was surprised when I said "August." The grass in the foreground may have seemed a bit snowy. Anyway, when she learned it was taken with film she at first seemed quite surprised, but then started talking about digging out an old camera of hers. Of course, then she asked where to go for processing and I felt a bit short on current knowledge, especially for B&W, which I haven't sent out since about 1955!