Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
This topic is specifically approved for APUG - it is the only "how-to" scanning topic that is.

For those who have larger prints that won't scan in one pass on their scanners, there actually is a useful free, Microsoft product that does a good job at stitching images.

It is called Microsoft Research Image Composite Editor (or Microsoft ICE) and can be found here: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/...roups/ivm/ice/

Did you ever expect to see the words "useful free, Microsoft product" together?

And with respect to Umut's initial question, I would suggest you look carefully at the installation guide for gallery uploads - particularly the size limits.

I'm slowly discovering some of the complexities of re-sizing for the web. Certainly it seems to help a bit to re-size in stages, with close examination and some sharpening between each step.
Oh ok.

I've found that with certain programs like Lightroom, there is an option to export as a certain size, you can select "long edge" and "850 pixels" and this being the max size APUG will allow of 850 pixels usually makes a nice crisp image, I don't change the exported amount of detail, I keep the export at 300dpi but don't put size limitations on the file install (like requiring the file to be no more than 100k) but let it do it's thing... If I limit the size, my images aren't as crisp.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Also, if I DON'T define the "long edge" pixel count, and the size is larger than 850 pixels, then when APUG re-sizes the image, often the colors and tones are off, I know Sean has said their server SHOULDN'T affect the image colors, but in my experience it does, so make sure you creat a size under the 850 limit or you may run into issues with the "look" of your image not matching the original on the computer.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk