Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
Oh that description was perfect for my kind of brain, now I understand what the heck everyone is talking about (sort of) so the tow and tail are the highlight and blacks? So why does the upswept whatever mean, I didn't see a boomerang shape at all when I looked at the first OP's graph so I was totally confused (still am) so anyway this at least gets me a little more understanding.
Cool, that's what I aim for, is to make it understandable.

With film, the traditional layout is that the clear part of the film starts at the lower left. The "toe" (like on your foot) of the curve is where the film goes from clear to some moderate amount of density. Then there is a mid-range zone (a lot of people like to call this the "straight-line part," even if it isn't). Eventually, the line will stop climbing, and roll off in a "shoulder". Sometimes you don't see a shoulder, because it is so far off that it doesn't make it onto the graph - in these cases, the printing time would be so exorbitantly long that no one wants to go there. So there's no real need to graph it

Regarding the "boomerang shape," everybody gets their own descriptive words for things. I think he means the point where, halfway up, the line takes an upward bend; it's very slight. (I wouldn't personally say boomerang, 'cuz I'd get tired of explaining what I mean).

When they say the curve is "upswept," they mean it keeps getting steeper and steeper, at least in the "useable" part that is graphed. To me, in a "typical scene," (whatever that is), an upswept curve means that the highlight areas may be getting out of control. But if your subject doesn't have real highlights, this sort of film curve might build some in for you; closeups of fern leaves under soft light might be an example?

Hope this helps.