Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
Wow....that is like saying history classes should be dropped from all school curriculum, entirely ignorant sir.
Might as well. The ones governing our countries don't seem to care anyway so why should we?
I dont think history in all and the history of photography relate or has much in common in relation to this subject. The way things evolve in this era with all this new technology etc I see little reason to demand that young photogs know about the master of the last century. It might be helpfull enlightening and even interesting for them to know but as it is their heroes might as well be those of today teaching them, inspiring them and talking their language

Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
Except Ansel, I had no idea who any of those old masters were when I was in my teens and early 20's. But as I grew up, got more work and got better, I sought out the info for my self. David Hobby and McNally are not in any way shape or form at the level of mastery of who are truly considered masters by the way, they are mostly marketing sell-outs and will never have the historical impact of the aforementioned. They also won't have a nice print sale like Nick Brandt's 60x80 African elephant at 215K. There is a big difference between a fine art photographer and two guys who now make most of their incomes off of teaching gear laden workshops my friend....
Maybe not but inspiration to make great art doesn't have to come from former great photography artist it may come from all directions even the trashcan so why not from modern fashion or glamour, other not so good photographers giving you a good idea or even cartoons. I find digital photography an interely different animal so why force people into the mindset of the former centurys analoque art let them make their own minds up and maybe even repeat the mistakes searching for a "woice" of their own.

Hey someone called me ignorant whaiii at last

Best regards