Quote Originally Posted by johnielvis View Post
Like I said before--those formulae are for tightly controlled machines--VERY SHORT processing times...a couple of minutes max. In my experience, I could never get the silver solvent in the developer to work reliably. Maybe you can, but I've stopped trying (at least until I get or build a film processing machine)--right now I'm doing hand processing/tubes. So for my processing methods, I've found silver solvent in developer is not a sufficiently repeatable process for me. I have found that when I screw up exposure and get a transparency that is "too dark", that I can fix it with ferricyanide bleach (if it isn't too bad). I go for "old reliable" methods that you can not do for a couple of months and start right in and process without screwing up because you're "out of practice". This IS a hobby for me, after all....

Actually--it's more of a laziness thing, come to think of it. I've found that hypo in the developer is not necessary for me to do satisfactory reversal processing. Since it's not necessary, I'm not about to complicate things and add in steps (time, extra work) to my process--each step (measuring, adding another chemical) is also an opportunity for error. So it's a combination of laziness and desire for a very, very robust process with as much "slop" in it as possible. I do admire precision, but precision where it is not necessary is a waste of resources (laziness).

OH...if you want to experiment with the hypo in developer, there is a small book I HIGHLY RECOMMEND called "The Monobath Manual"...it's a VERY good read and will show you the effects of hypo and what to expect in such processes.
Ok. I get it, thank-you. It's better to understand reasons advice then one can choose to follow or not with more confidence.

I'm using Peter Carter's method of the weak hypo solution so hopefully it'll work out more consistent for me in the Pan-X trials.

I'll try and check out Monobath Manual, too. Regards, Mr Datsun.