Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
I shoot a lot of compressed landscapes including aerials with the 70-200 and at 200 it was pretty bad in the corners, my $69 75-150 3.5 series E being a good bit better. Not what you want when you have a client paying $4,000 an hour for a helicopter charter...

The VR-II crushes it in every regard, including VR...

It still kills me to this day to walk by the ticket office of the ski area that is one of my top two clients and see a 25 foot wide overlay window mural of an awesome shot by yours truly with soft corners...
Interesting post. It made me think how important it is to remember we're all taking photographs of different things, using different techniques, and we all have different end-purposes. Personally, I photograph solely for myself, I print small (I'm currently limited to 8x10), and I'm a huge fan of formal (symmetrical) composition. Even when things aren't symmetrical, I still naturally place the focal point in the middle, sort of like Eggleston (it took years, but I successfully managed to unlearn the rule of thirds that was drilled into my head in community college). I use a 15x loupe for viewing film, but a 25' wide mural easily beats that!