Quote Originally Posted by Rafal Lukawiecki View Post
Thank you, Gerald. May I ask you to clarify, therefore, if this also means that, in your opinion, sodium sulfite does not fulfil any roles in desorbing the silver-thiosulfate complexes from the emulsion, especially those adsorbed to the silver crystal grains (as opposed to just the paper fibres), nor can it aid in converting the less soluble complexes to the more soluble ones, as Doremus stated earlier? I appreciate your opinion on this, very much.
In the pasted article from Ryuji Suzuki's web site a few posts above, he does say "Sulfite is superior in that sulfite can desorb not only unreacted thiosulfate but also sparingly soluble and adsorbed argentomonothiosulfate complex."

I understand that the complexes are less soluble than thiosulphate and are thus harder to wash out. So if Suzuki is right, the sulphite does in fact help to wash out the complex (at least the mono one), if not "convert" it. I don't know where Suzuki got that information. Maybe it's in one of the research papers from Kodak in the golden age of black and white.

The other thing that I find interesting is that once the sulphite bath is used, washing can proceed in colder water than would be needed for timely washing without the sulphite bath. This has a practical application for many people whose tap water is rather cool and who don't have a mixer.