Quote Originally Posted by jspillane View Post
This would actually explain something I noticed exactly. I was doing a tripod shot of a group, with myself in the middle holding a shutter release. I framed and focused, then stepped in and took it. In the final image, I am sharp but the rest of the group is soft-- and I was standing a little bit in front due to the length of the cable. Is a lens alignment adjustment something that would generally be separate from a CLA? I'll start contacting repairmen in my area.
Seriously, just get an overhaul or walk away from the camera. The film start issue is bigger than the lens issue, actually- you can't get NOTHIN' if the Automat mechanism doesn't kick in. By the time someone cleans that and starts dealing with lens board alignment and focus alignment, you are 80% of the way to a full overhaul. Get a new mirror and update the focus screen and you'll have an almost new camera.

Quote Originally Posted by jspillane View Post
I love them both and wouldn't want to give up either, ideally. I don't much like the Rolleiflex on a tripod and I find the normal focal length slightly restrictive, which was what led me to pick up a SLR + 120mm. I find it much more satisfying for detailed work (portraits, macro, etc.) but obviously far worse as a walk-around or travel camera.
Great, then, keep them both AND get the 80mm Hassy lens. And the 60mm! And the 50, the 150.... oh wait, that's not your question, eh?