Quote Originally Posted by newcan1 View Post
If you have a passion, go for it.
All the reason anyone really needs...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
I have a question for you .

In the large scheme of things, and lets take your own personal net worth aside. What do you think the average working salary per year of a professional photographer is.?

I believe the number is quite staggering low. This profession has way too many unqualified people calling themselves photographers and polluting the market place.
I think the degrees in someway open other doors for those who may not have your talent.

I do get the idea that the cream rises to the top , and talent is what gets you there, but from my perspective of 35 years of dealing directly with thousands of photographers, a solid education helps some transition to other avenues of financial support to continue producing their personal work.

The photographers that seem to get to the top have schooling, just need to look at Bios and CV's to figure that out. Yes there are exceptions but in my home town this seems to be the rule and Toronto just became the fourth largest city in North America so the numbers are pretty strong to judge from.
If you take the top earners, over 100K net per year out of the equation, I bet it is less than 25K per year net average. This industry and craft is changing so fast in terms of markets and broad perceptions it is not even funny. I could very well plod along and keep shooting digital, going after new commercial clients and such, but I am not for two reasons. One is that it is not where my heart lies or talents show best. The other is I just don't think it is the way forward anymore and that photography is going to continue to be killed off in many ways in terms of both perception of it's artistic and social value and most certainly commercial value.

For example: http://www.wired.com/design/2013/03/luxion-keyshot/

So as good as an education is and I sometimes wish I could have been enrolled in a great school like RIT, Art Center or Brooks, the notion of what is a photograph, what is it's artistic, social and commercial value are changing waaaay too fast for any curriculum to keep pace with.

Three times I have been asked to teach a Photojournalism course at this new but well lauded program at our community college. Twice I said I would think about it but need to know more and I was not sure if I had the time. But the third time I said I just can not do it. The reason being that until I see clear evidence to the contrary, I can not in good conscious teach a course in a genre that these students will not be able to monetize.

Next month I am attending John Sexton's well known workshop "The Expressive Black and White Print". I am doing it because I want to make sure I develop sound habits in the darkroom because I too, want to teach traditional analog workshops...because I believe there is a future in that....at least for me.