Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
I think what Rafal wants to investigate is whether sodium sulfite will do some of the actual fixing on its own, thus making the wash-aid bath a kind of "mini" second fix. I believe he wants to single-bath fix and count on the wash-aid to take up some of the slack when the single fixing bath becomes exhausted. I.e., I believe he wants to use the fixer past its "for optimum permanence" limit and rely on the wash aid to get the print to "optimum."

www.DoremusScudder.com
If this is indeed what Rafal is looking for, not likely to work very well. Haist briefly discusses Sodium Sulfite under "other fixing agents". As we know from film developers, Sodium Sulfite is a silver halide solvent, but it is a weak one. Further, its effectiveness depends on the type of silver halide. It works better on Silver Chloride than Silver Bromide, for example. So my half-educated guess is it wouldn't work very well on current chlorobromide papers, and Haist does not dwell on it for more than half a page. There do appear to be some more interesting potential alternatives to Ammonium Thiosulfate. Haist briefly discusses some compounds that under high pH conditions can fix materials in as little as 15 seconds and render the resulting complexes so soluble only a short water rinse is required for washing. Most of the chemistry he talks about there is beyond my understanding so I can't say much more on that. He probably couldn't say much more either, depending on what kind of fancy stuff Kodak was working on