Quote Originally Posted by noacronym View Post
Thanks. I had to google "pixel-peeping". I have no access to the photos on APUG, aside from those that appear as attachments. You've clarified--your experience is apparently much more concentrated to salvage color films as b&w than I initially gathered. So you've pretty well shut me up on the matter. I've just never been jumping for joy on D-76. I know Kodak called it a "general-purpose fine grain developer". And it was the standard stuff in any darkroom I ever was in. Like ketchup as the standard condiment on every table. I'm not a D-76 fan, but I can tolerate it, since that's about all Kodak has any more. Rather bland though. Bread-and-water for the prisoners.
Why don't you look at Pyro-HD or is it Pyrocat-HD ... something like that... it's apparently like Rodinal but finer grained, but it's a two chem mix, you mix the two before a run, I haven't tried it but I hear (and see) very good things. Don't be so disheartened, like I said, I've still used Roidnal 1:50 in standard B&W films Across100,Tmax4000,HP5+,PanF+,Panatomic-X, all with amazing results, I just haven't stand developed them 1:100, I've only stand developed 1:100 for C-41 ... so you can still consider Rodinal for regular development even if you don't want to do Stand... but as I said... get a CHEAP roll of something .. a cheap 35mm of foma 24 exposure is like $3 and a bottle of Rodinal (Adox Adonal) is $11-$13 ... get these and give it a try, fact, shoot 10 shots, then take 4 blank shots, then take the rest, in the dark cut the film in half, and develop one in stand and the other half normal 1:50 and see the difference, it can't hurt to run one roll through.... you can't be THAT poor.

The best way to learn is just to DO IT yourself... everything else is someone else's opinion...