Thank you Bethe and Jeff. It was a great birthday.

Lee, I don’t know of any boat rentals, but then I haven’t looked for one. Peter and I have both been shooting LF and ULF in the Flats since June. The type of boat you could rent would not be a stable enough platform to prevent blurred images. Hand held, smaller formats at faster shutter speeds might work.

The river is quite narrow above the first bend and very accessible by car on both sides. There are areas where you can’t get in and with the major six lane bridge
construction, there are temporary road closings. It is a small geographic area. We have simply prowled and learned our way.

There are several methods to improve finding your way. Paper maps of Cleveland are available at most book stores. Portable or car based GPS systems allow you to enlarge the maps and get updates. I have wanted to include images of the 600 foot ships and tugboats. Predicting where and when they will be in the area is very easy with software from http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/. Each ship has a transponder that reports minute by minute. The port code for Cleveland is CLE just as it is for airplanes. The software can tell you what ships are in port, what are expected, and where each vessel is on the river. There are ($4.99) apps for this for both IPhones and IPads. I’m guessing other devices are not left out.

We have found the most common transports are carrying limestone for cement, premixed concrete, taconite for steel. These vessels go to several locations pinpointed on the software maps. If you enlarge the scale you can see the roads that get near them.

John