Hi,

I've been quite busy getting my small-volume motion picture lab up and running. I've been running some customer ECN-2 films as free "test runs" with good success and am now testing E6 processing.

I've done E6 a lot in spiral tanks, of course, and always used chemical reversal bath. AFAIK, there is no reason why it couldn't be substituted with light reversal. In spiral tanks and dip&dunk processors, I understand pretty well that a chemical reversal is a lot easier to handle than a light that would need to come near to all areas in all film being processed.

However, thinking about a roller transport film processor (such as mine), it would make much more sense to use a bright white LED or any light source near the film path. I'm thinking about cost savings, less risk of cross-contamination, less chemical waste, and no risk of low-volume reversal bath "sudden death" syndrome.

Is there any real reason why roller transport labs still use chemical reversal? Is there ANY difference in the image quality between the reversal method, something I miss? Can there be too much light?