Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
There was a large amt of dye transfer matrix film for sale just a couple weeks ago in Germany. Fresh
batches seem to be run every few years until ... ? It is being custom coated and is not dependent upon
Kodak as a sole supplier. It never was. I know where you can get dyes. You can produce and mordant your own printing paper. Registration gear comes up for sale every few months it seems, or if you have machine-shop skills you can make your own. I know how to make color separations and masks using films currently on the market. The prime ingredient, time (lots of time) is what is hard to come by.
RA4 printing per se if very easy, but doing high-quality advanced work is just like anything else - you
need to gradually learn the ropes. I'm one of the few people attempting advanced masking operations
with it. But it is the future (at least at this moment in the future!), if you like darkroom work per se.
Hi Drew
When U say " advanced masking", what is meant? I've sorta thought all masking was 'advanced'. Are there types that are more advances that others?
Also I have a side question; a decade or 2 ago or more, I read an article about using a thermally developed film for masking. I thought that was a rather neet idea. Save a huge amount of time processing & drying the masking film. I think it was in 'Darkroom Techniques' or some such publication. In ~'93 I had the experience of using a thermally developed X-Ray film. I wasn't wild about it's radiographic quality, but for masking, I could see huge potential. (I've been involved w/ photography & radiography much of my life) [photography = spending $ - Radiography = making $] If I remember correctly, it was produced by 3M.
Have U ever heard of such?
Looking forward to hearing your responses, Jay Drew