Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
I actually think there is a more important point for many of us, and I believe it can be reliably controlled, the midtone point.

As a matter of course it s really nice when the midtone point we choose in the scene carries through to the mid tone point we want in a print with our enlarger set "normally". This allows easy printing pegged to what is for many of us our most important subject matter.

For many of us as long as our shadows and highlights fall "appropriate to support our subject" and in the film's easily printable range, we're happy.

What I'm saying is that I can shoot and develop to control the density of whatever single point I choose, whatever point works in my system.
I don't think there should be any arbitrarily derived density to key the printing on. Since there is no direct correlation between a specific negative density and a print reflection density why apply restrictive conditions to the process when they are not required. From The Theory of the Photographic Process, "Because of variation in subject matter and in the geometry of scene lightling, the optimum printing times for negatives are not predicted with complete success by any known printing time formula or any known automatic method of measuring the negatives."