Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
Simon thanks!

...So 70mm but not perf? You referenced waste, isn't the only waste the punched emulsion "chads" ? Isn't the film production part the same between perf and non-perf?

Thanks for any clarification on that.

And thanks for being an awesome company!

~Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Reed View Post
As a possible extension of the Harman special sheet film production scheme, is there any interest in something similar in FP4/HP5 in 70mm perforated?

Having run it past the planners at Harman, they are prepared to cut it as a special order for Silverprint. We would have to order a minimum of 60 cans of 30 metres, in either film type, and keeping it priced as competitively as possible it would sell at 80.00 + VAT per roll. This price is not significantly more than the equivalent sq. metres in 35mm 30 metres, so Harman are being supportive here. We would take a chance in holding some stock, but would like around 60-70% of it covered with committed orders to go ahead.

When we first discussed it, Simon Galley estimated it would need a 20-30k order to kick it off - this then came down to 120 cans, so 60 cans is a big concession from Harman. So is there enough of a user base in 70mm to keep a regular supply of the format on tap, in very popular emulsions? We await the response with interest.

Hi Simon,
Thank you for the thread. I left a message on your answer machine earlier today, then I realised that it would be more effective to contact to you via APUG.
You have mentioned that Ilford is not interested in producing 70mm perforated film. Martin Reed at Silverprint wrote about this possibility four years ago. I talked to Martin recently. He said that that time he could not find enough photographers to order a small batch of just 60(!) 30m rolls.
I was about to buy 10 150’ rolls of out-of-dated Kodak Double X (2405) from “that Canadian guy” and some Fujichrome Duplicating from Siverprint or Process Supplies in London (it gives surprisingly natural beautiful colour when C-41 processed), when noticed this thread.
Simon, could you please explain what the “excessive waste” is, and why it is not viable to coat 70mm perforated. What is the bare minimum Ilford would be interested to produce?
Also regarding 35mm. As I could not afford to shoot on photographic film at current prices, I bought recently two 400’ rolls of Kodak Double X (5222) movie film for 84 (+VAT) each. 400’ is equivalent of around 73 cartridges (36 exp.).
Simon, are you able to sell 35mm film in cans of 400’ or 1000’?
Thank you,
Oleg