Quote Originally Posted by noacronym View Post
Yeah I remember the 110 cameras. My grandmother had a perfectly good X-15 and bought a 110. I had forgotten about the disc cameras. That was a bunch of junk. But think about it--the 126 Instamatics were the i-phone of the day. And I think we're seeing ipods and iphones grow tired now. What's AAPL going to do next? Every dog has his day. As for the Kodak polaroids, they knew full well they were infringing on trademark. That WAS dumb.
But back to these color processing kits--which is the good stuff NOW, and which is junk?
Yes, they were not great. But Kodak loaded them with state of the art stuff. Also remember that the 126 cartridge was the first truly precision (.0001 inch tolerances in places) injection molded plastic part and that it was even self compensating for changes in temperature. A real engineering breakthrough that led the way to many more precision plastic parts. Some of Kodak's injection molded lenses actually worked better than many of their glass lenses. The 110 cartridge was not quite the same quality as the 126, but it was still the same sort of thing. Kodak made some very top notch things cheaply for the ordinary consumer.

Back to being on topic. I notice the ECN-2 process recommended for many Vision 3 products has a recommended alternate ferricyanide bleach (SR-29) and that the recommended production bleach (SR-33) is also a ferric (ferric nitrate) based bleach. VNF-1 also recommends a ferricyanide bleach (SR-40), but RVNP does not (only a persulfate bleach). I know motion picture films are not the same as still films, but the dyes are probably similar in both products. If modern color negative motion picture films tolerate a ferricyanide bleach, it seems that still films a likely to as well. The situation with color reversal films is less clear, since the recommended process for Ektachrome motion picture film (RVNP) does not list a recommended a ferricyanide bleach, although VNF-1 does. I suspect something like SR-29, which is simple and cheap, could be used ahead of the blix for C-41 processing in the current kits. It might be worth a cautious try in the E-6 kits. Persulfate bleaches get a bit exotic for the home formulator.