Quote Originally Posted by Zero_Equals_Infinity View Post
Has anyone tried using an inkjet printer to apply sensitizer to paper?

I realise that the experiment may destroy the printer, so I will look for a well used Epson 1800 which can be picked up on the cheap, and get some Jon Cone cartridges ($30), and minimally load them with sensitizer for the test. Also, if the process works, a thorough cleaning of the printer would need to be performed following each batch.

Concerns:
1) Ferric Oxalate could readily clog or otherwise damage the print head.
2) Particle sizes in solution could be too large.

Advantages:
1) Totally uniform coating
2) Selective density of sensitizer would allow dialing in the amount of sensitizer applied, (reducing sensitizer use to the minimum required, but no less.)
3) Ease of creating shaped sensitized areas on paper, (e.g. oval for old style portrait.)

These are my thoughts. Obviously I do not want to just throw away money if someone else has performed the experiment and determined it cannot work. If anyone has tried this, please post your experiences and results here.

Note: The same technique could be used to apply a Fumed Silica pre-treatment of paper, and the fumed silica particles are small enough (to not pose an issue as the primary particle sizes range from 5nm to 50nm.)
Excellent idea.