Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
I've been accumulating equipment for about 4 years, and yes, prices have gone up. I think the ridiculously low prices of a few years ago were the result of the recession combining with the rush to digital to force more equipment on the market and suppressed buying. The recession is over and it appears that those who need and/or want to dump film equipment have already done so.
+1. I think, too, that many out there are coming to the realization that film cameras are no longer being made in the quantities, or in the varieties, of years past, influencing the expectations of both sellers and buyers. Nikon, Canon and others have sharply curtained their offerings over the last several years. An increasing scarcity can be seen in evidence - most notably, I would suggest - in the "pro end" of the market. To wit: two and a half years ago (give or take), I picked up several F3HP bodies, on ebay, in ex/ex+ condition (in "KEHese"), prices in the $75 - $100 range; drives for the same were typically $20-$45. Around the same time, I also purchased several F2/F2 Photomic/F2A bodies at prices in the same range. A quick look on ebay this am finds prices, for the most part, for the various models of both the F2 and F3 bodies, have more or less doubled. With few exceptions, most of bodies with initial bids of sub-$100 look pretty sketchy. It has become quite common to see F3HP bodies, for example, selling on "the bay" for several hundred dollars! While economic factors and the rush to digital may explain a large part of the changes in pricing, a shrinkage in available product also is part of the calculus. I would only expect prices to continue their upward climb...