Generally speaking, standard agitation, tested for each film, is correct. Consistency is the key, but to achieve results consistently may require trading consistent methodology for something more likely to produce the consistent results we desire. That's why we have expansion and contraction, and other methods of obtaining the final print we want.

Decreasing, or increasing, agitation just to have some mathematical formula seems to defeat the purpose of controlling the values we wish to present in our print. It can't work if it's based only on some formula, as each scene with values that deviate from the photographer's mathematical norm will likely be a disappointment. That's why we test and create a system that works for us.

The point I was trying to make was that using just mathematical numbers and formulas without consideration of values and subject just doesn't seem a good idea.

These comments are only based upon my own experience and study, which is limited, so please don't think I'm trying to offend anyone, and if I did, I apologize.