Quote Originally Posted by Roundabout View Post
I've read a fair few threads about the Olympus OM cameras and I'm keen to get one. I'm still just a bit unsure about a few of the features and how they might apply to the way I photograph.

I think I'm mainly considering the OM1n versus the OM2n. The OM4 seems much more expensive. I shoot manually and rarely use aperture priority and so on.

Reasons why I'm looking at this camera range.

1. Lightweight. I'm really 'over' carrying big heavy cameras around. I was even considering getting a new Bessa. I like rangefinders, but I also use SLRs and I've heard great things about the OMs and I also heard that even the lenses are quite light - true or not?.
I've had an OM-1 since 1976. Handling anything else feels like an anchor, including older folders that I have.

2. I can't quite work out the light meter situation with the OM1n. Can you see the meter through the viewfinder? I don't need intricate measurements. I just want the meter to be more or less accurate.
Yes, the meter indicator is clearly visible in the viewfinder. The needle may overlay the subject area, but it does not obstruct it.

3. Also, are batteries easily available? I get the impression that OM2 batteries are current and fairly easy to get, whereas OM1 batteries are not? I don't want to have get anything converted or adapted.
The original batteries for the OM-1 are not available. There are some said to be compatible, but I haven't tried them. The main options are conversions (zuiko.com does great work) or adapters (fit original battery chamber and hold smaller button battery). Zuiko.com sells the adapters for $45. I've never used the adapters. I have the camera updated.

4. However, I quite like the idea of the OM1 shutter being mechanical.

Anything else I whould be thiking about when making a choice? I am not a collector. I want to actually throw the camera in my bag/pocket and use it on a day-to-day basis.

Thanks.
Mine spent many years being stuffed in school desks and then many more years in a college backpack, a belt pouch, a pocket when the coat was roomy enough. It never complained.