Quote Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
Thanks Doremus. I shoot the entire roll to the same scheme (N, N+s and N-s).
Well then, of course you would want different development schemes. Whenever I shoot roll film (and that's a rarity these days) I usually have different contrast situations on one roll.

Wouldn't I then just be using a reflection densitometer to measure the paper densities anyway ?
No, you'd use your eyes to tell you if you got the desired print values. As you can see, I prefer a visual approach to testing that takes the final print into consideration. I never measure the densities of prints I make in order to decide what value it should be; I use my eyes. Same for testing.

I considered your suggestion, and this is certainly one way to account for real life flare. The way I prefer to do it is to slightly increase the negative density range (by about 0.1 units) for a given SBR. i.e. increase CI/gamma. I suspect this is no more or less better at compensating for flare than you method, just a different way.
Again, I don't want to test for just one variable, nor do I really want to collect data; I just want to know how what I meter will end up in the print, visually. Therefore the test of the entire system as a "black box," not the individual aspects.

I've always wondered about the non linear nature of intermediate zones. I also experience that.
I think that for ZS practitioners, realizing this is an important step in getting to know your materials and the process, not to mention helping you to better know what you'll get when you place something in a particular Zone.

You also mentioned using Zone VIII instead of VII. That is easy to do with my proposed method if you have a large enough aperture range. I initially wanted to ensure most aperture ranges could be catered for.
I find that finding my Zone VIII, which I define as the first noticeable grey with a hint of texture (i.e., a non-specular white) is a better and easier to pinpoint benchmark than a "fully-textured off white/concrete color" Zone VII. That and the Zone III (first black with real texture) give me the endpoints of my system. Then I test to see where the other Zones will end up. I often make a Zone ruler to be able to visualize this more easily for, as already mentioned, the intermediate Zones are not always linear.

Best and good luck testing.

Doremus