Quote Originally Posted by rorye View Post
When I'm out with a view camera and someone asks questions about it I always go out of my way to engage with them, even though sometimes I don't feel like it. If people are excited by what is different for them then I think that's pretty cool.
This happens to me all the time when I'm out with my 4x5. I very rarely, if ever, get any hassle from members of the public or fellow photographers. Often get puzzled looks as to why I'm using such a funny looking thing, but I'm more than happy to let them ask questions and even look under the darkcloth and have a go at focusing the image. In fact on occasions I spend more time talking and showing people how it works than actually taking photographs. Which is fine by me.

I have to put up with a fair amount of mickey-taking from members of the camera club about not being digital, but there's no over-inflated egos to contend with (perhaps because the club is in a very traditional Northern working-class town - we Geordies tend to be a very friendly bunch...)

In fact the only serious ego I've ever had to contend with in photography was a former colleague who insisted whatever he did was better. I bought a dslr, he berated me for my choice and insisted film was the only pure form of photography (Despite the fact that he didn't actually own a camera of any description at this point). A little while later I progressed on to medium format and re-discovered the joys of film. His response? He immediately went out and spent several grand on the latest Nikon dslr. Tw*t...

This process was repeated whenever I bought any new (well, pre-owned, but new to me) kit.

Last time I spoke to him he told me his wife had forced him to sell his Nikon and other assorted gubbins because he never used it. I'm happy to report that he got sod-all for it...

Tw*t...