That depends a lot on how you scan. Negative film "capture" a larger dynamic range but, on film, they are less contrasted than slides. Slides have a greater density range (from pure black to pure white) than negative film. Any scanner can capture all the information in a negative film frame, but not all desktop scanners can capture all the information in a slide film frame.

That's probably why the exposure "pickness" of slide film tends to appear exaggerated when seeing scans of them.

My experience is that with my desktop scanner I have no difficulty in capturing all the dynamic range of slide film I normally use (Astia, Sensia). That doesn't mean slides do not pose some challenges in high subject brightness range situations. That means they pose no more challenges when scanning than when projecting. If you get the exposure rights slide film is a joy to see. That is partially due to their comparatively limited dynamic range, so that there will be some "pure black" small details (recessed details). That will set a very dark "black point" in your brain and let you see the rest of the image brilliant and saturated. If there is no "pure black" in the image (if the black point is not very black) your brain sees the image as not well saturated, a bit "washed up".

Actually, IF your subject brightness range is not extreme and IF your scanner has a very good dynamic range, slide film should be much easier to use than negative film, I mean it's much easier to get natural and pleasing colours, probably because of the above mentioned reason (and for some others as well).

Be very careful in using slide film as a "back up". Slides want to be exposed for highlights. Negatives should better be exposed for shadows (and are generally speaking more forgiving as well). When you use slide film you have to be very "aware" that you are using slide film, any moment, when evaluating exposure. Overexposing a slide in a high subject brightness range situation normally results in a disaster.