Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
My intention was to dispell the notion that such information is commonly available on the Internet. Even in this thread, several people have implied that they COULD do it, yet as far as I can see they have not. (I'll bet a dollar that Worker 11811 [post #62] would turn his silver-quarter cathode black with sulfide in less than 2 minutes).
Agreed. There is a certain amount of experimentation and care needed to carry out a project like this. Yes, that is one of the things you have to watch out for and, if it happens, take steps to counter.

However, I am a natural experimenter and tinkerer. Even as a kid, I used to take things apart just to find out how they worked. As an adult, it became my job.

If one is not willing to put in the time and effort to figure out how to do a thing like this he would be better off not doing it. Better he should just buy a Silver Magnet and be done with it. The Silver Magnet is a good product which works as advertised. Even I, as a experimenter, decided it was better to buy than to tinker.

Just for information, I do consider agitation to be important, even using the Silver Magnet. About once per day, I will go check on progress. I unplug the transformer, pull it out of the solution and let it drain then stir the liquid in the container before putting it back in and turning it on.

Read the instructions that come with the Silver Magnet. They do discuss this. There is a chart that details the color of the material that is plated out and what that means. It describes the continuum of light gray color to charcoal colored. It tells you know to know when the process is under way or when it is nearing completion.

I find that the Silver Magnet works well and, with occasional stirring, it works even better. If I was going to suggest an improvement to the product, I would say that the next update to the instruction book should mention this. Use an old, non-metal spoon or utensil to stir the solution once every day or so.