Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
Okay, going to try a different illustration to show the relationship of subject matter to print.

Attachment 67494

Forget the real numbers, my scribbles are not to scale. They are meant only to convey a concept.

In this case I want to show how various changes in development might change our choices of camera or enlarger exposure.

Attachment 67495

I know it is cluttered, sorry, but these are hand drawn. In the second example the alternate print range is added and it shows how shadow detail gets lost below the paper's range. If we put 2&2 together we can see that we could reduce camera exposure and get the same print range. With careful observation and a little imagination we get to see how and why a push works and the compromises it makes without 7 pages of text.
Mark, this makes a lot more sense. The same thing might be able to be accomplished with a simple line graph using density vs time. I have a similar function in my family of curves plotting program. The purpose isn't for display or communication so you will have to bear with me. The density projection function will take a starting density at a specified development time and using a density time curve derived from the family of curves it will determine the development time necessary to achieve a target density. What you could do is take two or three density time curves overlaying Zone System print references.

ScreenHunter_42 Apr. 20 06.15.jpg

Okay, I just realized that while it would be a cleaner graph, it would probably need a program to do. Your way would be easier to create by hand.