Because it's fun. And amazing. But then I also think a radio controlled plane that could fly for 20 minutes on rubber bands would be cool and a homemade working vacuum tube from a lightbulb and porch screen would be amazing too! Also the "better with a lens" part is very subjective... it won't make a better pinhole photograph! Don't worry not deterred and not offended... slightly bemused that you don't see the value and "wonder factor" of these things.

Quote Originally Posted by HTF III View Post
The point of doing pinhole escapes me. Why would.... nevermind. Just because some things CAN be done, why do them? Anything that can be done with a pin hole can be done better with a lens, I'm sure I can fabricate a radio control plane that flies for 20 minutes on rubber bands, but why would I want to? I'm sure I could re-fabricate a light bulb with a grid from a piece of back porch screen and a plate and make an amplifier out of it, but why would I want to? PS--don't you guys be deterred or offended at my apparent attitude on the subject. It'sall in point-of-view. I'm a guy who spends too much of his life re-inventing the wheel, just for financial viability and sustenance, and survival. A pinhole camera, playing golf, and going to the dentist all hold equal measure on my list of exciting things to do.