When I shoot with 35mm, I rarely use anything longer than 50mm, and am generally gravitating towards much wider lenses. I now shoot mostly 4x5 and my lens kit consists of a 75, 90, 150 and 210mm lenses. I use the 150 more than any other, followed closely by the 90. I rarely feel that I need something as wide as the 75, and when I do use it, it is often difficult because of coverage and the fact that movements are quite restricted.

Distortion in LF is a complicated question. If I am taking a photo of a building and I use some front rise to keep the sides parallel to one another, is that introducing distortion, or removing it? Some wide lenses will map straight lines to curves, but then most of my images with LF are landscapes, where you would be hard pressed to find a straight line.

My advice as you move into LF is to get a single lens - which isn't at any extreme. If you are doing 4x5, get something in the range of 90 to 150mm, and become comfortable with using that lens. This will help guide you to know where you want to go to next.