Quote Originally Posted by TheToadMen View Post
Hi Dave,
The larger the camera the more you'll get light fall-off (vignetting) at the borders. Especially at a scene like in your 2nd shot.
Did you ever try to dodge & burn inside the camera? The principles are the same as in a darkroom.
Here is an example; how to & demonstration:
http://www.wretch.cc/blog/jerry7000/15984406
Bert from Holland
Compensating is an interesting idea (but complicated!) I disagree that it's the camera size, it's the angle of view. As you move off-axis, the round pinhole becomes an ellipse and ultimately narrows to zero minor axis dimension at points 90 off the optical axis. (In real life it happens well before that from mounting hardware, thickness of the pinhole plate etc.)

In my shot above, I think the fall-off is only minor. I'm on a wooded property and the sun was about 30 minutes from dipping below the western horizon. So all the trees and shrubs at the sides and foreground were in shadow while the wooded slope in the background was getting direct light.

I'll post some of today's effort later. So far I see one design shortcoming -- I need to add a handle. With no filmholder, the back is open, so carrying it around the workshop was no problem. Alas, in the field, with the filmholder making it a closed box, it's a bit awkward to handle. The weight is not too bad, 2.23 Kg with filmholder (less than five pounds), but switching cameras, even with quick releases, was a pain because it's difficult to handle and control with one hand.