The look is generated by having a negative that is quite **contrast** HC110 is the right developer for this situation.
by underexposing and overdeveloping the negative will have the quality's needed for the look Mike Spry then used in the darkroom. You need a negative that when the blacks emerge , it almost explodes. One is not concerned with the highlights blowing out a bit as the flash fills in with creamy goodness.

Star Trax is an excellent example of this style , Oriental G4 in Champion Nova Lith A - B . Heavy exposure on the enlarger and creative use of secondary flash to fill in highlight detail.

I would like to comment that this technique goes completely against the sensitometry crowd and should be approached with a good dose of bourbon and Van Halen.

I can recommend ** Dance the Night Away ** at the highest level your ears can handle, over and over and over .........
Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
I will take a wild guess and say that his "look" has A LOT more to do with printing than the use of HC110...but what do I know.