I'm speaking of the rollers pointed to here (and in fact this unused for several years example might could use some attention!) And indeed, this would only apply if the scratches are on the emulsion side.


It looks as though the rollers span the entire width of the film. I suppose they are to reduce any effects of reverse curl coming off the big rollers to help keep things against the pressure plate. At any rate, they appear to be one of the only things (other than light!) that may contact the emulsion in-camera.

(Durn, something else on my do list!)