Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
I refer to crippled in the sense that it will not meter with AIS lenses. Meanwhile bodies such as the 2000, 6000, & 8000 series, as well as the F90, F100 and Fm10 among others will meter with them in reduced capability mode. Since all AF lenses have chips in them and obviously the AIS lenses don't, it leads me to believe that it has something to do body. In the N80 if the AF lens isn't set to the minimum aperture the camera displays the "FEE" warning. Do the above mentioned bodies display the same warning with a AIS lens, or is it a custom menu option to use the AIS models? Basically I'm wondering if there is a mechanical nature to this problem or if it is inherent to the thin film board and a selectable option to even use the lens.
It's part of the problem that Nikon didn't change the F mount when they switched over to AF. This is a good things but as needs arise they have to change the way lens and body interface. Including all of the interfaces would be too expensive so the lesser model only have the lasted interface. For example the lower end Nikon DSLR don't have the AI coupling so they can't meter with AI lenses but also they don't have the coupling to drive the lens for AF so the lens has to have built in motor and the N2020 did have the coupling to drive the lens for AF but not the electrical interface neccesary to use lenses with built in motor. Canon changed the entire lens mount in one scoop which made many of its customers mad but in the end it was a good decision.