Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
I don’t know if this is true, but a colleague told me a couple of days ago that now any photograph you put on a social network site, or sites like Instagram. You then no longer own the copyright, as these may then be used by others for commercial gain, or whatever without your say so. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
For a definitive answer you would need to look at the terms and conditions of each site in question - Most have a "We reserve the right to use your uploads as we see fit without paying you" type of statement. For many, it mitigates any copyright infringements when distributing content around the world, however, some may use the content for outright profit. Bottom line is read the T&C, and if you don't like it, don't post.

There is also the issue of others ripping off your image(s) regardless of where they are posted and try to wriggle out of paying royalty fees under the misguide notion that "because they are on the web, they are free" (see this blog for one example of an organisation that should know better).

Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
I expect s/he is referring to the Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Act
This is an article about it: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04..._act_landgrab/ (which I found linked on a similar thread at RFF)
i had seen that piece from ElReg - Very disturbing piece of legislation, but then this parliament has introduced some nasty "laws" of late..