@ cliveh, without exception, every student I've shown this method to over the years has remarked at how simple it all seemed afterward and they appreciate the fact they can see the change on every strip where the time method often confused them. Paraphrasing, they have also remarked "Why didn't my instructor show me this in the first place." Of course, I don't tell every student about it unless they seem to be having problems printing another way. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is more or less my approach. If I came across otherwise, it was not my intent.

We could go on forever discussing pedagogy and what works vs what does not and for whom. There is no blanket approach and flexibility certainly is worthwhile in that regard. Each student is different.

In my earlier posts I was just suggesting a method that in my experience seems to put it all together for certain individuals, though not often discussed. After figuring it all out independently years ago, I stumbled upon a very old Kodak Darkroom Dataguide (?) from Carnie's era that described the f/stop printing method and I've wondered ever since why it fell out of favor.