Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
Chris- I once had a Wollensak enlarging lens. It was probably close to 40 years ago, so my memory of it may be a bit hazy. If memory serves, however, I found it to be a little less contrasty than my "good" lenses. I gave it away, but wish I hadn't. Since rediscovering my plastic cameras, a few years ago, I'd like to see how it would work with those negatives.
I have a 90mm f/4.5 Wollensak, complete with fine scratches on the front element. I did a side-by-side comparison test, the Wollensak versus an 80mm f/5.6 Componon. I printed the same negative, in a glass carrier, with lith film used to mask the rebate, and I adjusted the enlarger height to get the same size image for both prints.

AFAIR, the Wollensak had slightly lower contrast, and seemed to be about the same as the Componon in terms of resolution. The degree of enlargement was low, a 2-1/4 x 2-1/4 negative enlarged to about 7-1/2 x 7-1/2 inches, so it may not have been a fair test. I'll try and remember to have a look at the test prints tonight.