Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
Michael, you keep quoting Haist's book as if it was a comprehensive collection of everything he knew about photochemistry. It simply isn't and Ron already told you why it couldn't. There is a long chapter on miracle tricks how to boost film speed by two stops, but besides its historical value there is little merit in that whole chapter. Many other chapters are outdated , incomplete or even misleading because of the restrictions Kodak forced onto Grant Haist. Think about the following facts:
  • The first edition was published in 1979 with the title "Modern Photographic Processing"
  • C41 was introduced in 1972, yet the book only mentions C-22
  • E6 was introduced in 1976, yet the book doesn't mention it
  • HC-110 was introduced in 1965, yet the book doesn't mention it

The list could go on and on. And rest assured that Grant knew all these things very well considering his position!

Fact is there is no easy to follow book or path into photochemistry, and a lot of research will have to be replicated by us or will be lost eventually.
I'm not disagreeing. It is complex and I understand even in Haist's case there was a lot he could not say. I was merely trying to find some supporting evidence - theoretical or experimental - for the blanket claims made by people regarding the favourability of alkaline fixers. It seemed to me it is a little less straight forward than "pH up = washing time down". If Ron is saying that is sound, I am ok with it. But I still haven't seen any data on relative washing times for commercial products such as TF-4, or non-commercial formulas. Obviously I don't have every book or article, which is why I was asking the question.

Sorry this got ugly. It was not my intent.