Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
Once the sum of money that is being discussed gets so small I just pay my money and expend my energy worrying about more complicated issues. The converse is also true. Once the sum of money gets so large there is no way I am going to part with that amount I just keep it in my pocket and use whatever "inferior" device I currently own. Everyone has their cut offs. I personally never got involved in the APO wars because a single used APO lens costs more than my entire darkroom setup with two enlargers and two lenses...
I'd misread you too, thought you were missing the mark. So I reached back a bit to find we have common ground...

I agree with you on the cutoff and stick with what you have. This is why for 35mm work I use the lowly 50mm Apo-Rodagon instead of seeking the superior N version. Actually found both in same box at flea market with that 28mm Rodagon I've been talking about... the one I have to mount on a tuna can to use... Paid $5 each.

The Xenar I've been using has served me well, and though I got a good deal on it, being on my third job out of college it was a significant investment at the time. Now I might replace it, but it's not urgent because I know its limitations.

Ctein is sort of a local hero, hung out at Pedro Point watching Venus transit and talked with the guy who convinced him to convert to digital. And I think we've got an APUG'er who knows him.