Democratic People's Republic of Highton, Victoria, Australia
Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
Well Slixtisix, one DSLR sensor or one ram drive with pictures contains more toxins than that 365 gallons of developer. If you expose the developer to air and sunlight it oxidizes and becomes neutral in pH, thus becoming nearly harmless. The bacteria in sewage treatment do the rest. The sensor OTOH, has non-biodegradable toxins that leach into the ground water where it is dumped.
That ones sensor contains arsenic and selenium, which are toxic forever. They do not biodegrade.
This is awful, but not news. Where do old non-working DSLRs go, if not in shops? Maybe I shouldn't ask: landfill? <*shudder*>
.::Gary Rowan Higgins
One beautiful image is worth
a thousand hours of therapy.
"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
to save the environment."