Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
How are you making the holes? You need to know how large the pinholes are (and how far they are from the paper) in order to determine the exposure time.
Thats just the thing, I'm not exactly sure. I plan on using oatmeal boxes or other circular containers, maybe a paint can or two, etc. I already have 2 sites instructing on how to do it exactly: http://users.rcn.com/stewoody/makecam.htm and http://www.alternativephotography.co...aking-a-camera ... seem like good sources? other ideas? For the pinhole they all all suggest fine/very fine sewing needles (first mentioned #16, #15, and #14, so I'll see what I can do. Would my best bet be to test each one out individually beforehand and record the exposure times to get the right measurements? Can I cut the photo paper in strips for the tests so I dont waste paper?

Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
And Direct Positive paper. More expensive than normal Ilford paper, but the contrast should be better, and you don't need to use a separate sheet for both the pinhole exposure and the print. However, it's fibre-based paper which is much more difficult to process - you need additional chemicals and very long washing times.
I'm not exactly convinced that direct positives will save me time or money... For starters, direct positives are going to require me to make an individual photo for each person, since I cant make copies of them. Plus that means that there will be around 25 different exposures, and there's no telling if 1/2 of them will turn out right the first time. Plus, at this point were only going to make probably around 5 pinhole cameras, so it would be difficult to keep going back and forth between kids using the same cameras, plus the photo paper is more expensive so I wouldn't have as much room for failure. Additionally, time and money are of the essence so additional chemicals and processing times would be a burden. Please let me know if these arguments are valid or flat. I'm not a pro at this type of thing, at least not yet.