Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
Wow. Where to start.

You are not Avadon. 8x10 portraits are... a major learning curve. Exposure, lighting, perspective, DOF, subject movement etc.
4x5 portraits are not quite as easy as you think either. Jumping from MF is easy in some respects and quite challenging in others.

I shoot 8x10 because the tonal and intense image granularity blow me away, always have. But.. I started out with 4x5, lived with it for 20 some years, moved for a short time to 5x7, then found the camera of my dreams, an early 70s Deardorff V-8. And I still have 4x5 and 5x7 backs for it but they are hardly used. I use it to shoot landscapes exclusively. Contact print (8x10 - 5x7) only.

If I were you, I would buy a quality 4x5 monorail with full movements, a couple good lens, and a 4x5 MXT enlarger. If you really like LF, then go for the gold. Learn the basics first.

tim in san jose
True.

I'm still weighing the pros and cons.
I am just fancying this idea and so I haven't looked in-depth but are there some semi-affordable (~$1k)metal field cameras? I'd prefer a more portable unit at the expense of movements. I know that there are plenty in the 4x5 world from graflex to linhof and several ones in between but I've never looked into 8x10. I was just trying to figure out if this were really doable.

So far the film is expensive for sure but I would just shoot less. Similarly I don't find 120 to be more expensive than 35mm because I shoot differently, more slowly.