Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
Yes, they don't tell me anything about the damn thing
Sure they do! You just don't know the code yet. Canon's letter salad wouldn't mean anything if you didn't know the code, either.

Leica's naming conventions actually tell you quite a lot once you know them, just like Canon's. Let's take a SUMMICRON-M 50mm f/2.0 for example. "Summ-" lets us know it's a double Gauss (aka Planar) design, "-cron" lets us know it's a mid-speed lens, and "-M" tells us it's got a fingertip focusing tab and the focal length engraved near the mount.

Without autofocus or IS or different image circles to cover, the deciding factor in choosing a Leica lens, and the only factor that the name could ever tell you, is what max aperture it has. You choose either slow (Summarit, Elmarit), fast (Summicron), fastest (Summilux), or insane (Noctilux). They're all the best lens Leica makes at that aperture, and they all work with every M body.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
How can I tell what's better, at least with canon I know the L lens is the better one...
That is a deeply flawed way of thinking. There is no "best" lens, not even if you just compare specs. Canon would like you to think the 24-70L is the best normal lens, while you may be much better served by a 50/1.8 that costs a twentieth as much and is faster, sharper, and lighter.

If we want to compare that back to Leica, all Leica lenses are the better one. It's just a choice of how wide an aperture you need.